Policy of Acceptance of Transfer Students and Credits
Acceptance of transfer students and credits is in compliance with the California Vocational Nursing Practice Act with Rules and Regulations (section 2535). Ukiah Adult School does not grant credits, but grants completed hours for theory and clinical instruction as required by the BVNPT. Credit hours may be transferred from other programs. The Licensed Vocational Nursing Program is currently the only post-secondary offering at Ukiah Adult School, so no intra-school transfers take place. Ukiah Adult School’s Licensed Vocational Nursing program will accept transfer students and allow credit hours either at the beginning of the program or, if space allows, mid-program under the following general guidelines:
- Credit hours will be granted only for previous education or experience completed within five years prior to admission into the Vocational Nursing program.
- All students must meet all admission requirements for the Vocational Nursing program.
- Forms for references and physical examinations may be obtained in the school office.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to see that verification of past experience and duties performed are on file before any credit hours can be granted.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to have official transcripts, showing content of courses and hours satisfactorily completed, submitted before credit hours can be granted.
- All transcripts and forms, including the physical, must be completed at least one month before the student’s entry date.
- Copies of all tests and evaluations are retained in the applicant’s file in the school office.
- Transfer credit hours for related units of study, such as Nutrition, may be granted if students are admitted to the program. This will be determined by evaluation by the program director and faculty
Specific Courses and Experiences
- Nurses’ Aide or Non-accredited Practical Nursing courses and Certified Nurse Assistant courses: An applicant satisfactorily completing a course of study as described in Section 2535 (1, 5, 6) and having met the above criteria may receive credit hours for course completion contingent on staff observation and evaluation of the applicant in one or more practical nursing situations.
- Accredited Vocational Nursing or Practical Nursing Courses: Credit hours based on evaluation of transcripts by the faculty will be granted transfer students from other vocational nursing programs having similar courses of study. The applicant must have received passing scores and satisfactory clinical evaluations in the school from which he or she is being transferred. The applicant will be placed in the appropriate week of the program.
- Accredited Professional Nursing Courses: Credit hours for nursing education and clinical experience, based on evaluation of transcripts by the faculty, will be granted to students seeking transfer from this type of program. The applicant must have received passing scores and a satisfactory evaluation in the clinical area in the school from which he or she is being transferred. The applicant will be placed in the program in the appropriate week.
- Accredited Psychiatric Technician Courses: Credit hours for nursing education and clinical experience will be granted based on evaluation of transcripts by the faculty. Applicants must have received passing scores and satisfactory clinical evaluations from this type of school. The applicant will be placed in the program in the appropriate week.
- Armed Service Nursing Courses:Credit hours may be granted to an applicant showing evidence of satisfactory completion of a basic or advanced course in nursing offered by any branch of the Armed Forces. The applicant must have received passing scores and a satisfactory evaluation in the clinical area. The applicant will be placed in the program in the appropriate week.